2018 Home Decor Trends: 6 Interior Design Ideas for Your Bedroom
Your bedroom should be the coziest place in your home—a personal getaway where you can relax, re-energize and be yourself. There’s nothing better than coming home after a long day to a luxurious, comfortable space.
We can expect some great bedroom design trends in 2018. With so many exciting, new ideas available, it’s the perfect time to re-evaluate your bedroom style and make sure you’re starting the year off in a space you love.
Tips for Transforming a Bedroom Into Your Personal Oasis
Before diving into the 2018 bedroom design trends, let’s take a moment and review some best practices for approaching a bedroom redesign or remodel.
Whether you tackle the process yourself or work with a design build firm, there are a few things you should consider.
- How many changes do you want to make? Does your ideal bedroom simply involve updating your paint color or duvet cover? Or do you envision a new walk-in closet or larger windows? Think about what you want and prioritize these changes from most to least important.
- The size of your bedroom. Compare your new ideas with the size of your space. Think about what may or may not be possible and if there are opportunities to restructure the space to fit your vision.
- Your budget. While you can’t know the exact cost of your redesign without first getting an estimate, it will be helpful to get a handle on how much you want and are able to spend.
Thinking about the above three points is an excellent place to begin your bedroom remodeling plans. It will certainly help you identify which of the newest bedroom trends will be a good fit for your space.
2018 Bedroom Design Trends You’ll Love
Are you ready to dive into the bedroom design trends we expect to see in 2018? There are a range of exciting new ideas we’ll start to see in the bedroom and all throughout the home, but the following six trends are our personal favorites:
Pantone recently released its color of the year. Any guesses on what it was?
The winner was “Ultra Violet,” or more specifically, Pantone 18-3838. This bold shade is said to be invigorating yet cozy. It will set the tone for many of the color choices of 2018, including in the bedroom.
Overall, moodier, jewel-tone colors will be popular. One aspect of this I’m most intrigued by is tone-on-tone jewel palettes. This trend features one main hue paired with another similarly graded tone within that scheme. For example, painting your trim work and walls the same color to create a cozy yet modern feeling that’s incredibly interesting.
If you’re not feeling quite bold enough to spring for a dark, jewel-tone hue, consider using a calmer cousin color. For example, lavender is a nice watered-down version of Ultra Violet and has a softer, more feminine feel.
Brass Accent Pieces
Pairing brass accent pieces with jewel tones is a current trend. Many people are moving away from brushed silver and are replacing it with warm and subtle brass pieces.
There’s something unexpected about using brass in your bedroom; however, the brass tone is universal enough to be paired with a variety of colors and is especially beautiful alongside moodier palettes.
Some of my favorite ways I’ve seen brass incorporated into the bedroom include:
- Light fixtures
- Door or dresser knobs
- Bed frames
Another design aesthetic that’s been catching fire is “Wabi-Sabi.” This is the Japanese art of finding beauty in imperfection. Within design, this means incorporating more handmade and natural items into your space, allowing for an organic vibe.
Here are some great ideas to help inspire the Wabi-Sabi aesthetic in your bedroom:
- Use linens and humble materials. Try a linen duvet cover and leave the wrinkles. Remember, there’s beauty in imperfection! Choose materials that show their age, like wood, wool, clay, bamboo, leather and iron.
- Showcase handmade items. This trend is a great opportunity to incorporate local artwork, handmade pottery or other handmade accent pieces.
- Allow for natural, filtered light. Wabi-Sabi is against bright, harsh lighting. Instead, focus on incorporating soft, filtered light. For instance, gauzy window treatments can allow the perfect amount of soft lighting into your room.
Creative Storage Pieces
Your storage pieces no longer need to be just practical. Today, statement storage is a must. Showcase your beautiful storage pieces, anything from dressers and bookshelves to side tables and media consoles. These pieces can and should be creative and beautiful, and they add to your overall bedroom design.
Mid-century modern design has become popular over the last few years and will continue to be a go-to style for homeowners. Adding touches of this retro style is a great way to bring a trendy yet comfortable feeling into your space.
Some of my favorite mid-century design ideas for the bedroom include:
- Dressers or nightstands on perched brass legs
- Mid-century accent colors, including navy, red and orange
- Large, floor-to-ceiling windows
- Dark hardwood flooring
- A fireplace
Floral prints have always been popular, but this year we’ll see them veer away from being incredibly feminine and more toward giving off an interesting, funky vibe. Think contrasting colors and casual, bohemian styling.
There are many ways to incorporate this trend in your bedroom, whether through unique floral patterned chairs or cushions, or a cozy duvet cover. If you’re feeling especially wild, you can even add floral wallpaper to an accent wall.
Bring Your Vision to Life
In the midst of all these exciting new trends, remember that your bedroom should reflect your personality and be a place you enjoy spending time in. Whether you’re interested in completely remodeling your bedroom or just want to refresh the overall look and feel of your space on a budget, you can implement these 2018 trends and turn your bedroom into a space you love.
Erin Davis is lead designer at Mosaik Design & Remodeling in Portland, Ore. For more information and tips, visit mosaikdesign.com.